06 January 2018

I Renewed My Vows Tonight!

I have been a member of the Third Order of the Brethren of Our Lady of Mount Carmel for over 30 years. All that time, I have been an Isolate. Whilst I have many Carmelite friends of the First and Third Orders on-line, I have only met one other Carmelite in real life, a Priest of the First Order in a Carmelite Parish I once visited.

My vows were received by a Diocesan Priest who had been given faculties by my Superiors to hear them. Tertiaries (and I assume, members of the First and Second Orders) are expected to renew their vows twice a year, on Epiphany, which is today, and on the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, 14 September, for which we can receive a plenary indulgence, under the usual conditions. As an Isolate, following the Old Rule by permission of the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei, I have always renewed them privately, after receiving Holy Communion.

Tonight, however, I decided to ask my Pastor if he would hear my renewal. I brought both my copies of the Rule and Ritual to Mass. I have two copies because I once mislaid my copy. I then ordered a new one, and as is usual in such cases, I found the old one!

So, after Mass I asked Father, and he agreed. My friend, Josh, and I knelt in the front pew, whilst Father knelt on the floor in front of us. For the first time in over 30 years, I was able to actually renew my vows according to the Ritual! Deo gratias!

I then prayed for the intentions of our Holy Father and for the infidel, which are the conditions required for the indulgence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.