20 January 2018

The Homestead Act

I grew up in Kansas and I now live in Nebraska. The Homestead Acts were vitally important to the white settlement and cultivation of these lands on the Great Plains. I, and most of my friends when I was a boy, lived on land that had been homesteaded in the 1860s and 70s. My Dad's grandfather had claimed his land under the Homestead Act of 1862 and the Timber Culture Act of 1873. When I was growing up, it was back in the family, being farmed by the original homesteader's grandson. It had been lost, as so many farms were, during the Great Depression. However, when Dad's cousin got married, his father-in-law, a wealthy doctor, bought the farm and gave it to the newlyweds as a wedding gift!

Today, I live just 20 minutes from the Homestead National Monument, which is on the land that Daniel Freeman claimed 150 years ago today. Here is his claim form.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.