11 January 2018

I am a 'River Rat'

I was born in Marysville, Kansas on the Big Blue River. With the exception of five years on the farm in Marshall County, 12 miles from Marysville, I’ve lived in river towns all my life, and even then, I still swam and fished in the Blue. I’ve lived in Topeka and Lawrence, KS on the Kaw, I’ve lived in Kansas City, Kansas at the confluence of the Kaw and the Missouri, I’ve lived in Edmonton, Alberta on the North Saskatchewan, and I’ve lived the last several years in Council Bluffs, Iowa, back on the Mighty Mo. I’ve been a River Rat all my life. Now, I’m coming full circle. I’ve moved to Wilber, Nebraska, where, by the grace of God, I will probably die, and Wilber is on the Big Blue, the river I learned to swim in and fish in almost 70 years ago. I hope to still have many years fishing in the Big Blue, tho’ I doubt I’ll be swimming in it!

The Big Blue, just south of where I
was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.