16 July 2018

The Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel

I have been a Tertiary of Our Lady of Mount Carmel for over thirty years. Today is our major Patronal Feast. I would like to wish all my readers a Happy Feast Day.

In honour of Our Mother, Queen of Carmel, here are some prayers of consecration and petition, and a note on the Feast Day.

A CONSECRATION TO
OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL


O Mary, Queen of all Saints, 
who art the beauty of Carmel, 
how sweet it is for me to venerate thee 
under the title of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. 
Even from the days of the Apostles, 
thou hast been honoured under this mystic title; 
I am filled with joy as I consecrate myself to thee, O holy Mary, 
most unworthy though I am to be thy servant, 
yet touched by thy motherly care for me 
and longing to serve thee, 
in the presence of my Guardian Angel 
and the court of Heaven, 
I choose thee this day to be my Queen, 
my Advocate, and my Mother, 
and I firmly purpose to serve thee ever more 
and to do what I can that all may render faithful service to thee. 

Therefore, most devoted Mother, 
through the Precious Blood thy Son poured out for me, 
and through the promises of thee as Our Lady of Mount Carmel, 
I beg thee, deign to take me among thy clients 
and receive me as thy servant forever. 

O beauty of Carmel, 
glory of Libanus, 
thou purest of lilies, 
mystic rose in the garden of the Church, 
I salute thee! 
O Virgin of virgins, 
be mindful of me in my misery, 
and show thyself my Mother. 
Shed upon me ever more and more 
the living light of that faith 
which made thee blessed; 
inflame with that Heavenly love 
wherewith thou didst love thy dear Son, Jesus Christ. 

Do thou, Mother of God, 
who hast such power and might, 
obtain for me from blessed Jesus,
the Heavenly gifts of humility, chastity, and meekness, 
which were the fairest ornaments of thine Immaculate soul.
Do thou grant me to be strong 
in the midst of the temptations and bitterness 
which so often overwhelm my spirit. 
Aid me in every action, 
and beg for me the grace, never, 
by word or deed or thought, 
to be displeasing in thy sight and that of thy most holy Son. 
Think of me my dearest Mother, 
and desert me not at the hour of death.

Amen.

(Here, you kiss your Scapular..) 

Holy Virgin of Mount Carmel, Our Lady of the Scapular, 
pray for us!
ANOTHER CONSECRATION TO
OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL



O Mary, Queen and Mother of Carmel, I come today to consecrate myself to Thee, for my whole life is but a small return for the many graces and blessings that have come from God to me through Thy hands. Since Thou regardest with an eye of special kindness those who wear Thy Scapular, I implore Thee to strengthen my weakness with Thy power, to enlighten the darkness of my mind with Thy wisdom, to increase in me faith, hope and charity that I may render, day by day, my debt of humble homage to Thee.
May Thy Scapular keep Thine eyes of mercy turned towards me and bring me Thy special protection in the daily struggle to be faithful to Thy Divine Son and to Thee. May it separate me from all that is sinful in life and remind me constantly of my duty to behold Thee and clothe myself with Thy virtues.
From henceforth, I shall strive to live in the sweet companionship of Thy spirit, to offer all to Jesus through Thee, and to make my life the mirror of Thy humility, charity, patience, meekness, and prayerfulness.
O dearest Mother, support me, by Thy never-failing love that I, an unworthy sinner, may come one day to exchange Thy Scapular for the wedding Garment of heaven and dwell with Thee and the Saints of Carmel in the Kingdom of Thy Son. Amen.

The Flos Carmeli, written by our Prior General, St Simon Stock, and used as the Sequence on his Feast on 16 May, and, since 1663, the Sequence for today.



FLOWER of Carmel,
Tall vine blossom laden;
Splendor of heaven,
Childbearing yet maiden.
None equals thee.


Mother so tender, 
Who no man didst know,
On Carmel's children
Thy favors bestow.
Star of the Sea.


Strong stem of Jesse,
Who bore one bright flower,
Be ever near us
And guard us each hour,
who serve thee here.


Purest of lilies,
That flowers among thorns, 
Bring help to the true heart
That in weakness turns
and trusts in thee.


Strongest of armor,
We trust in thy might:
Under thy mantle,
Hard press'd in the fight,
we call to thee.


Our way uncertain,
Surrounded by foes,
Unfailing counsel
You give to those
who turn to thee.


O gentle Mother
Who in Carmel reigns,
Share with your servants
That gladness you gained
and now enjoy.


Hail, Gate of Heaven,
With glory now crowned,
Bring us to safety
Where thy Son is found,
true joy to see.

And a prayer taken from the Flos Carmeli:



O most beautiful Flower of Mount Carmel, Fruitful Vine, Splendour of Heaven, Blessed Mother of the Son of God, Immaculate Virgin, assist me this my necessity. O Star of the Sea, help me and show me herein you are my Mother.
O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and Earth, I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart, to succour me in this necessity; there are none that can withstand your power.
O, show me herein you are my Mother, O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. (3 times)
Sweet Mother, I place this cause in your hands. (3 times)



Sacred Scripture exalts the beauty of Mount Carmel, there where Prophet Elisha defended the purity of the faith of Israel in the living God. In those places, at the beginning of the XIII century the Carmelite Order, had, as to say its juridical origin, under the title of Blessed Mary of Carmel.
This title, almost a compendium of the benefits of the Patroness, began to be celebrated since the XIV century, first in England, and gradually in the whole Order. It reached its greatest splendour at the beginning of the XVII century, when the General Chapter declared it the principal and special feast of the Order, and Paul V recognized it as the distinctive title of the Confraternity of the Scapular.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.