06 August 2018

Rest in Peace, Dad and Grandma

Today, 6 August would have been the 98th birthday of my beloved Dad, Marion Edward Spiller, who became my Father after the death of my 'real' Father. He was the only Father I knew from age nine. He has been gone now for over twenty years and I still miss him. I thought of him this afternoon, as I watched the Czech Days parade with its tractors. There was a Poppin' Johnny, Dad, a John Deere Model A, just like the one you taught me to drive.

And it would have been my Grandmother Weismiller's 142nd birthday. Born in Sweden in 1876, she came to Kansas at 11 in 1887. She survived my Grandfather by 57 years until the house burned down and killed her in 1973 when she was 97. I thought of you, too, Grandma, when I told the story of your love for Grandpa to a fellow I met watching the parade.

They are gone, but not forgotten. May they rest in peace. Memory Eternal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.