17 May 2018

The Joys of Autocorrect

I am reading a book written in the 1880s. It is a Kindle ebook, and it has been carefully scanned and proofread. However, the proofreader seems to have missed one little error caused by auto correct.

As I was reading a discussion of moral force, I suddenly came across this,
To be content with an increase without consideration of the value of the increment is not only to accumulate fictitious force, but to expose the powers, which one does possess, to be paralyzed by the congestion of an unwieldy mass. The millions of Xeroxes constituted force of tremendous extension,...
I stopped, wondering what I had just read. Then I read on to the end of the sentence,
but they were of no avail against the vigorous intensity of the Greek three hundred at Thermopylae.
Suddenly, all was clear! No one had transported millions of xerographic copying machines to the 19th century via a time machine. The autocorrect algorithm had no idea who Xerxes was, corrected it to 'Xeroxes', and the proofreader had missed it.

Ah! The joys of modern technology!😀



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.