27 May 2018

The Berlin Wall (1961-1989)

I remember when the Wall went up and I remember when it came down.

When the Red Slavemasters began building the Wall in 1961, it was a blatant violation of the Four Power Pact, and Germans on both sides stood watching, waiting for the American, British, and French tanks to roll to destroy it. The Western Allies had every right under the Pact, and every moral right to do just that, but Kennedy Macmillan, and de Gaulle betrayed the East Germans and did nothing.

For 28 years, the Wall stood. For 28 years, people were murdered by the Red Slavemasters for trying to cross it. I never expected to live to see it come down.

However, on the evening of 9 November 1989, I was at work as front desk receptionist for a large engineering company. My wife telephoned me and said, in an exited voice, 'You'll never believe what is happening!' She held the phone next to the speaker on our television set so I could hear the broadcast.

As I listened to the drama unfold, I began to cry. People walking by my desk stopped to ask what was wrong. All I could do was to say, through my tears, 'The Berlin Wall is coming down!' Soon, my desk was surrounded as I put my phone on speaker so everyone could hear it.

It was one of the most moving experiences of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.