12 December 2018

12 December Antonio, Cardinal Bacci: Meditations for Every Day

12th December
Leaving Our Worries in God’s Hands
1. Although we ought to be busy, we should never be too preoccupied. We should do what we can and leave the rest to Providence. Preoccupation is unprofitable and even harmful, for it produces worry and anxiety. Very often, it impedes our work because it destroys our peace of mind. We should do everything of which we are capable, therefore, and leave the rest for God to do if He believes that it is for our spiritual benefit. If He does not consider that it would be to our advantage, He will leave it undone and we shall be the gainers thereby.
Preoccupation springs from lack of faith and lack of resignation to the will of God. One is reminded in this context of a story which is told about St. John Bosco. He was waiting one day for an audience with a Minister of State with whom he would have to discuss various difficult problems. There were a good many other people in the waiting-room, most of whom walked up and down agitatedly as they pondered over what they intended to say to the Minister and what they hoped to receive from him. Don Bosco, however, remained calm; so calm, in fact, that because he was also very tired, he fell asleep. At last the Minister appeared in the doorway and to his amusement discovered the priest slumbering contentedly. Don Bosco awoke when the Minister called him and calmly proceeded to explain at once what it was that he desired. He spoke in the manner of one accustomed to conversing with God, and he obtained without any trouble everything which he wanted.
2. We should try and behave with similar serenity. We should stay close to God and live in complete conformity with His will. We should perform our duties attentively and whole-heartedly, but we should never worry about them. As a result, we shall do more and do it more effectively. Most important of all, we shall be sure that God will bless our work.
3. In times of difficulty and of trial, let us remember the advice of the Holy Spirit. “Cast your care upon the Lord, and he will support you; never will he permit the just man to be disturbed.” (Ps. 54:23) Let us meditate also on the words which “The Imitation of Christ” places on God's lips. "Son, suffer me to do with thee what I will; I know what is expedient for thee. Thou thinkest as man; thou judgest in many things as human affection suggesteth." Let us reply then in the words of the disciple. "Lord, what Thou sayest is true. Greater is Thy care for me than all the care I can take of myself… Lord, provided that my will remain true and firm towards Thee, do with me whatsoever it shall please Thee. For it cannot but be good, whatever Thou shalt do with me. If Thou wilt have me to be in darkness, be Thou blessed; and if Thou wilt have me to be in light, be Thou again blessed; if Thou vouchsafe to comfort me, be Thou blessed; and if it be Thy will I should be afflicted, be Thou still equally blessed. " (Bk. III, c.17)
If we can achieve such a tranquil spirit of acceptance of the divine will, we shall never be agitated or preoccupied. We shall always be at peace both in joy and in sorrow, even as the Martyrs and the Saints were. Let us ask God for the grace to be able to live and die in harmony with His holy desires.

1 comment:

  1. Although, in theory, I agree with you; as The Essex once sang, it is "Easier Said Than Done"!

    I am increasingly questioning God because, as a father, had I the limitless power of God, I would not leave my children, long, in the cross hairs of scum like Jorge Bergoglio, as I do, honestly, believe that God is doing.

    I feel abandoned by God.

    Scripture and other written works have their place. But a loving father does not turn His back on His children, when they are being misled. He intervenes, not after they are destroyed. But, before.

    Not a good father, anyway.

    You, nor anyone, are likely to change my mind. I simply keep trying to hold on, one day at a time. But peace, is never mine any longer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.