22 September 2022

My Allegiance to King Charles III

Fifteen years ago on 19 October 2007, whilst I was living in Edmonton, Alberta, in Her Majesty's Dominion of Canada, I went before a Commissioner of Oaths (my MLA) and swore the following oath:

I, Jovan Weismiller, do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors. So help me God.


This was in accordance with the Oaths of Allegiance Act, R.S.C., 1985, c. O-1:

Oath of allegiance

2 (1) Every person who, ... of his own accord desires to take an oath of allegiance shall have administered and take the oath in the following form, and no other:

I had first 'sworn allegiance' to her as a lad of 10 or 11, alone in my bedroom, placing my hand on a Bible and taking an oath which I suppose I had found in an encyclopædia.

Then, earlier in 2007, I had joined the Royal Canadian Legion in honour of my Uncle, Charles Sluggett, Sgt, The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's), who fought in the 1939-45 War and Korea.


One takes an 'Oath of Allegiance' upon joining the RCL, but to my surprise, it wasn't the Statutory Oath, in part because you're also swearing to sell Remembrance Poppies!


So, when I realised that I had not sworn the Statutory Oath, I took care of the problem, marking one of the proudest moments of my life.

With the sad death of Her Majesty, in terms of the Oath I took, I now owe allegiance to Her Heir and Successor, King Charles.

God save His Majesty Charles the Third, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and His other Realms and Territories King, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, etc.!


And for any of my Catholic or 'Jacobite' readers, before you start going off about my owing allegiance to a 'protestant monarch', or an 'illegitimate monarch' I suggest you read these:


My Allegiance to Her Majesty Elizabeth II, Queen of CanadaReasons I Reject the So-Called 'Jacobite Claim' to the British Throne, and A Rant, or this, by 
The Hon. Joseph Shaw, DPhil (Oxon), FRSA, Chairman of the Latin Mass Society of England and Wales and President of the Fœderatio Internationalis Una VoceWhy British and Commonwealth Catholics Venerate Their Protestant Monarch, and this by Lt Col James Bogle, a former President of 
Una VoceCatholics and the Monarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.