11 February 2018

Happy Birthday, Dad, and Rest in Peace

Today would have been my father, Perry Weismiller's, 108th birthday. He died at the age of 42 on 10 August 1952.

He had always been sickly, and when he was drafted in 1942 he came home from the physical and told my grandmother, 'Mama, Hitler must be winning the war. They just took me'. He served in Hq&Hq Sqdn 8th USAAF, stationed at High Wycombe, Bucks, England. He met my mother, Doreen Oxley, there and they were married in All Saints Church, Catherington, Hants on 7 July 1945.

All Saints Church

He was mustered out in December 1945 and it was April 1946 before Mum could join him in Marysville, KS. The family story is that he almost wore out the platform at the UP Depot in town, pacing up and down, waiting for his bride.

One of the few memories I have of him was when he got ready to go to hospital the last time. He knew he was dying, and he told me that he would not be coming home this time.

Happy Birthday and rest in peace, Dad. You are gone, but not forgotten!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.