15 August 2021

“Hymn for the Dormition of the Mother of God”

A composition for today's Feast based on the Eastern Liturgy.

From The Imaginative Conservative

By John Taverner

Scored for a cappella choir, John Tavener’s “Hymn for the Dormition of the Mother of God” was composed in 1985 as the second part of a pair of Marian devotions. Its text is taken from the Feast of the Dormition (or slumber) of the Mother of God, celebrated in the Eastern Orthodox Church on August 15, and known as the Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary in the Western Church: “O ye apostles, assembled here from the ends of the Earth, bury my body in Gethsemane; and Thou my Son and God, receive my Spirit.” This text is repeated a total of three times, each within a different musical setting.


St. John's College Choir, Cambridge Director: Christopher Robinson Naxos, 2000 Text: O ye apostles, assembled here from the ends of the earth, bury my body in Gethsemane; and Thou my Son and God, receive my Spirit. Illustration: William Blake - Death of the Virgin (1803)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.