11 June 2020

A Story on Christian - Muslim Relations

A personal anecdote apropos of His Excellency Archbishop Schneider's statement on Christians and Muslims 'worshipping the same God'.

When I was at university, I had a good friend, a Muslim from Saudi Arabia. His grandfather had made the hadj from Africa and stayed, so he was a very dark skinned man. One day he asked me what Christians believed. I could think of nothing better than to recite the Nicene Creed. When I got to 'I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God, born of the Father before all ages. God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father; through him all things were made', I'm sure he would have turned white from shock had he been able! 

He then said, 'But surely, not ALL Christians believe that?' I admitted that many modernists and liberals no longer believed it, but pointed out that all Christians had, indeed, believed in the Divinity of the Second Person of the Holy Trinity until just a century or two ago.

Despite the fact that we were friends, I'm certain that had we been in Saudi Arabia, he would have immediately denounced me to the religious police for blasphemy, and that he would not have been at all upset at my execution for my 'crime'!.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.