02 August 2021

Johnny Weissmuller

My nickname as a boy was 'Johnny'. Inevitably, I got called Tarzan a lot. I remember when I ordered my first beer in a bar after turning 18. I proudly produced my ID. The bartender looked at it and asked, 'Where are Jane and Cheetah?'

I met Mr Weissmuller in the 1960s. I extended my hand and said, 'How do you do Mr Weissmuller? My name is Johnny Weismiller.' He replied, 'You poor, kid!'

Years later, I visited California. I drove by his house around which he had built a swimming moat. All he had to do for a morning swim was to dive off the walkway, do his laps, and climb the ladder to go back into the house.

As an adult, I was never called Johnny. I had hoped that with his waning popularity the nickname would die out. Unfortunately, the Tarzan films became a staple of Saturday afternoon kids' TV in the 1960s, so it held on, but by using Jovan exclusively I was able to avoid the Tarzan moniker for the most part.

I made one exception to the use of Jovan, however. In the 1990s I had a co-worker who was a veteran of World War II. He had been in the US Navy's UDT (underwater demolition teams, the predecessors to the famed Navy Seals) which Johnny Weissmuller had helped to train. When LT was mustered out of the USN in 1946, the locals held a homecoming celebration for him. Weissmuller came to the gala. As a result of the personal connection, LT asked for permission to call me Johnny. Even tho' it was sometimes confusing I told him OK.

It’s rare to find anyone who succeeds in 2 different fields, but Johnny Weismuller was that type of unique individual. He broke swimming records in his early years and went on to become a massive film star as well.

1 comment:

  1. Johnny was an incredible icon. The hysterically hypocritically "woke" crowd would hate him. But the people they worship today couldn't begin to fill his pants.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.