13 November 2018

Making the Perfect the Enemy of the Good

On Saturday, I posted an article from The Remnant on the Eucharistic Procession around the Nebraska State Capitol Building, led by my Bishop, His Excellency James Conley, Bishop Conley Leads Massive Eucharist Procession in Nebraska's Capitol. I shared it on several Traditionalist Facebook groups as I usually do with articles I think will be of interests to the group's members.

On most of the groups it received likes and positive comments. However, on one, it was denounced because the people in the procession were 'modernists'. I seriously doubt that the people who denounced it really know what 'modernism' is. I assume they think that anything after Vatican Two is, ipso facto, 'modernist'. I, on the other hand, have actually read Lamentabili sane exitu and Pascendi dominici gregis, the two Encyclicals of St Pius X condemning modernism, and I've sworn the Oath Against Modernism.


I also know that many of the clergy and laity in the procession are solid, orthodox, anti-modernist Catholics. I'm sure that amongst the clerics were professors and seminarians from the FSSP Seminary of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Denton, as well as from our solidly orthodox Diocesan Seminary of St Gregory the Great in Seward.

Why must people make the perfect the enemy of the good? Should we not rejoice that 2,500 people braved a cold, blustery day to march in procession to honour the Eucharistic Presence of Christ our King? One of the greatest problems of any movement to restore orthodoxy to the Church is this attitude that if you don't meet my standards of orthodoxy, you're a modernist, or a liberal, or a heretic.

As more and more 'conservative Catholics' are seeking Tradition in an attempt to flee from the filth and corruption in many Dioceses, I can think of no better way to discourage and dissuade them than this attitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.