12 May 2021

So....When Is Ascension Thursday?

Oh, the Problems of not living in the Province of Omaha where Ascension Thursday is on Ascension THURSDAY! There are four other Provinces that keep it on Thursday. They are Boston, Hartford, New York, Newark, and Philadelphia.

From Les Femmes

By Mary Ann Kreitzer

What a conundrum!

I want to go to Mass on Ascension Thursday. But wait a minute. Sunday is Thursday in my diocese and Thursday is a weekday in the sixth week of Easter. So Thursday is Sunday not Thursday.

But I go to the Tridentine Mass on Sunday. Wait a minute; it's not Thursday, it's Sunday! They celebrate Ascension Thursday on Thursday at 6:00 p.m. But I have a conflict on Thursday evening so I can't go to the Ascension Thursday Thursday Mass.

So if I want to go to Ascension Thursday Mass, then I have to go on Sunday. But that means I can't go to the Latin Mass, if I want to celebrate Ascension Thursday because Sunday is Sunday within the octave of Ascension Thursday.

So....do I go to the Sunday morning Mass at my Novus Ordo parish because Sunday is Thursday and I want to celebrate Ascension Thursday? Or do I miss Ascension Thursday altogether by going to the Sunday Latin Mass which is Sunday, not Thursday?

Are you confused yet? Who's on First?

Maybe we'll go to Mass on Thursday for the daily Mass during the Easter Season, then go to Ascension Thursday Mass at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday morning in the Novus Ordo, and then go to the Sunday after the Ascension Mass at 4:30 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.

Hmm....That should do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.