05 November 2018

A New Daily Post (For A While), Number 1

I was looking for a meme to go with my post on Fr Lemaitre and the Big Bang theory. I didn't find what I was looking for, but what I did find was a site called SlideShare, which has a series of slides from someone called Catholic Lab.

I searched for the site and got a dead link. I found a link to a Facebook page, but it was obvious that the owner had not been active in over a year. It seems the site is (was?) a podcast site dealing with how science has thriven under the Church and with the help of Catholic scientists like Fr Lemaitre.

However, from the comments on the FB page, it seems that those podcasts have disappeared into the aether. I find this disappointing, but, making the best of a bad situation, I've decided to post one of the slides each day at 14.00 until I run out of them.

I'm beginning with laymen. Clerics will follow. Here's the first.

Georgius Agricola; 24 March 1494 – 21 November 1555) was a German mineralogist and metallurgist. He is known as "the father of mineralogy", he was born at Glauchau in Saxony. His birth name was Georg Pawer (Bauer in modern German); Agricola is the Latinized version of his name, by which he was known his entire adult life; Georgius and Georg (from Greek γεωργός (geōrgós)), Agricola (from Latin) and Bauer (from German) all mean "farmer" in their respective languages. He is best known for his book De Re Metallica (1556).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.