20 October 2017

Autumn Has Arrived

Autumn is upon us here in Wilber! The leaves are beginning to turn, the harvest is in full swing on the farms around town, and I can often hear the grain dryers at the Farmers' Co-op elevator a few blocks away on the other side of the highway.

After having lived in large cities for the past twenty years, it is so nice to return to the slow paced life in a small town. I often morbidly joke that I've come home to the river to die. I was born, over 70 years ago, in the small town of Marysville, KS, on the Big Blue River, which, by the way, is neither big nor blue. I learned to fish and to swim in the Big Blue. It was an integral part of my boyhood. I have spent almost my entire life in river towns: on the Big Blue, the Kaw, the Missouri, and the North Saskatchewan..

Now, once again, I live on the Big Blue, albeit 60 miles upriver from where I was born. I doubt I'll be doing any swimming in it, but I certainly plan on getting in a few more fishing days before I shuffle off this mortal coil!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.