12 August 2022

Prayers of St. Clare of Assisi to the Five Wounds of Our Saviour

For the Feast of St Clare, here are the Prayers she composed in honour of the Five Holy Wounds of Our Lord Jesust Christ. 

Prayers of St. Clare of Assisi to the Five Wounds of Our Saviour

I. To the Wound in the Right Hand

Praise be to Thee, O Jesus Christ, for the most sacred wound in Thy right hand. By this adorable wound, and by Thy most sacred passion, pardon me all the sins I have committed against Thee in thought, word, and deed, and all negligence in Thy service, and all sensuality for which I have been to blame whether asleep or awake. Grant that I may be able to recall with devotion Thymost pitiful death and sacred wounds; grant me the grace to mortify my body, and so to offer a pledge of my gratitude to Thee, Who havest and reignest world without end. Amen. Pater Noster, Ave Maria.

II. To the Wound in the Left Hand

Praise and glory be to Thee, O sweetest Jesus.Christ, for the most sacred wound in Thy left hand. By this adorable wound, have mercy on me, and deign to root out of my heart everything displeasing to Thee. Give me the victory over Thy perverse enemies, so that with Thy grace I may be able to overcome them; and by the merits of Thy most pitiful death save me from all the dangers of my present and future life; and then grant that I may share Thy glory in heaven, Who livest and reignest for ever and ever. Amen. Pater Noster and Ave Maria.

III. To the Wound in the Right Foot

Praise and glory be to Thee, O sweet Jesus Christ, for the most sacred wound in Thy right foot; and by that adorable wound grant me grace to do penance for my sins. And by Thy most pitiful death I devoutly beg of Thee to keep me, Thy poor servant, united, night and day, to Thy holy will, and to remove afar off every misfortune of body and soul. And when the day of wrath shall come, receive me into Thy mercy, and lead me to eternal happiness. Who livest and reignest world without end. Amen. Pater Noster and Ave Maria.

IV. To the Wound in the Left Foot

Praise and glory be to Thee, most merciful Jesus Christ, for the most sacred wound in Thy left foot; and by this adorable wound grant me the grace of a full pardon, that with Thine aid I may deserve to escape the sentence of eternal reprobation. I pray Thee, moreover, by Thy most holy death, O my loving Redeemer, that I may be able before my death to receive the sacrament of Thy body and blood, after confession of my sins, and with perfect repentance and purity of body and mind. Grant that I may merit also to receive the holy anointing, for my eternal salvation, O Lord, Who liveth and reigneth world without end. Amen. Pater Noster and Ave Maria.

V. To the Wound in the Sacred Side

Praise and glory be to Thee, most loving Jesus Christ, for the most sacred wound in Thy side, and by that adorable wound, and by Thy infinite mercy, which Thou didst make known in the opening of Thy breast to the soldier Longinus, and so to us all, I pray Thee, O most gentle Jesus, that having redeemed me by baptism from original sin, so now by Thy precious blood, which is offered and received throughout the world, deliver me from all evils, past, present, and to come. And by Thy most bitter death give me a lively faith, a firm hope, and a perfect charity, so that I may love Thee with all my heart, and all my soul, and all my strength; make me firm and steadfast in good works, and grant me perseverance in Thy service, so that I may be able to please Thee always. Amen. Pater Noster and Ave Maria.

V. We adore Thee, O Christ, and we bless Thee.
R. Because by Thy death and blood Thou hast redeemed the world.

Let us pray:

Almighty and everlasting God, Who by the five wounds of Thy Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, hast redeemed the human race, grant to Thy suppliants that we who daily venerate those wounds, may, by the shedding of His precious blood, be freed from sudden and everlasting death. Through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.