15 September 2021

How to Pray the Rosary of the Seven Sorrows, the 'Servite Rosary'

Today is the Feast of the Seven Sorrows of Our Lady. Here is how to pray the Servite Rosary or the Rosary of the Seven Sorrows.

The Servite Rosary owes its origin to the Servite Order founded by the Seven Holy Founders in 1233. From the beginning, they dedicated their lives to Our Lady of Sorrows.

The Servite Rosary is comprised of 7 decades in memory of Mary’s 7 sorrows. It is customary to begin with an Act of Contrition, to call to mind the role our sins had in Mary’s sufferings. At the beginning of each group, the sorrow is announced, followed by an Our Father and seven Hail Marys. At the end of the rosary, we say 3 Hail Marys in honour of Our Lady’s tears.

St. Bridget of Sweden received visions wherein the Blessed Mother gave 7 promises to those who meditate on her seven sorrows:
  • “I will grant peace to their families.”
  • “They will be enlightened about the divine Mysteries.”
  • “I will console them in their pains and will accompany them in their work.”
  • “I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my divine Son or the
  • sanctification of their souls.”
  • “I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.”
  • “I will visibly help them at the moment of their death– they will see the face of their mother.”
  • “I have obtained this grace from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors
  • will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son will be their eternal consolation and joy.”
Act of Contrition

O my God, I am sorry and beg pardon for all my sins, and detest them above things, because they deserve Thy dreadful punishments, because they have crucified my loving Savior Jesus Christ, and most of all because they offend Thine infinite goodness; and I firmly resolve, by the help of Thy grace, never to offend Thee again, and carefully to avoid the occasions of sin. Amen.

V: Incline, unto my aid, O God.
R: O Lord, make haste to help me.

Glory Be…Alleluia

For the Seven Sorrows of Mary:

  1. The Prophecy of Simeon as found in Luke 2;
  2. The Flight into Egypt from Matthew 2;
  3. The Loss of the Child Jesus in the Temple of Jerusalem, also in Luke 2;
  4. Mary's meeting Jesus on the Via Dolorosa, the Fourth station of the Cross;
  5. The Crucifixion of Jesus on Mount Calvary
  6. Jesus is Taken Down from the Cross.
  7. The Burial of Jesus by Joseph of Arimathea

Each followed by one Our Father and seven Hail Marys, then:

Verse: Holy Mother, this impart,
Deeply print within my heart,
All the wounds my Savior bore.

Ending Prayers

Hail, Holy Queen

Three Hail Marys in Honour of Mary’s Tears:

O Mother of Sorrows, by the tears thou shed, grant that I may weep for my sins: Hail Mary…

O Mother of Sorrows, by the tears thou shed, soften the hardened hearts of sinners: Hail Mary…

O Mother of Sorrows, by the tears thou shed, allow me to make reparation for my sins: Hail Mary…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.