29 June 2019

An Observation About Microsoft and the Culture War

My computer is dying. Among many problems, only certain keys on the keyboard work. Unfortunately the working keys do not include some of the most common letters in English, such as a,e,h,i,n, and s. I had an ingenious, laborious, work around devised, but my 11 year old grandson pointed out that I had an onscreen keyboard bundled on my laptop. This has made my life much easier, tho' it's still more time consuming than a physical keyboard.

The onscreen keyboard has autocomplete, of course. Now I don't expect autocomplete to 'know' Latin or the odd names of  some of the Saints I mention. However, I do expect it to know words like 'Latin'! If I type 'Lati' my only two choices are 'Latitude' and its plural, 'Latitudes'.

I would think it was just an odd glitch if it weren't for another glaring example. 'Christ' is OK, but if I enter 'Christ', the autocomplete choices are 'Christened', 'Christen', 'Christenings', and 'Christens'!

I would completely understand if it didn't offer 'Christocentric', 'Christology' or 'Christological' as choices, but what happened to 'Christian', 'Christianity', or 'Christendom'?

Could it be that Billy-Boy Gates doesn't want us typing about Christianity or the restoration of Christendom? Just a random thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.