17 October 2018

Today is the Feast of St Margaret Mary Alacoque...

...Beloved Disciple of the Sacred Heart. St Margaret Mary
(1647-1690) was a nun of the Order of the Visitation, founded by St Francis de Sales and St Jane Frances de Chantal. She wrote her own life's story, The Autobiography of Saint Margaret Mary, and an excellent biography of her was written by Msgr Émile Bougaud, Bishop of Laval, The Life of St. Margaret Mary Alacoque.

Her first spiritual director, Claude de la Colombière, S.J., has been canonised as St Claude.

Fr Jean Croiset, S.J., her second spiritual director, wrote
Devotion To The Sacred Heart Of Jesus, based on her visions.

Here is a copy of the Image of the Sacred Heart that she drew, based on her visions.


Here are the Twelve Promises of the Sacred Heart made to her:

1. I will give them all the graces necessary for their state in life.

2. I will establish peace in their families. 
 3. I will comfort them in their trials. 
 4. I will be their secure refuge during life, and, above all, in death. 
 5. I will shed abundant blessings on all their undertakings 
6. Sinners will find in My Heart an infinite ocean of mercy. 
 7. Lukewarm souls will become fervent. 
8. Fervent souls will rapidly grow in holiness and perfection. 9. I will bless every place where an image of My Heart shall be exposed and honored. 
 10. I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts. 
11. The names of those who promote this devotion will be written in My Heart, never to be blotted out. 
12. I promise thee, in the excessive mercy of My Heart, that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Friday of nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their Sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.

Here is the Prayer of Consecration to the Sacred Heart that she wrote:

I (N.N.), give and consecrate to the Sacred Heart of our Lord Jesus Christ, my person, my life, my actions, my pains and sufferings, so that I may be unwilling to make use of any part of my being save to honor, love, and glorify the Sacred Heart. It is my unchanging intention to be all His and to do all for love of Him. I renounce at the same time with all my heart whatever can displease Him.

I, therefore, take Thee, O Sacred Heart, for the only object of my love, the protector of my life, the pledge of my salvation, the remedy of my weakness and inconstancy, the atonement for the faults of my life, and the secure refuge at the hour of my death.

Be then, O Heart of goodness, my justification before God the Father, and turn away from me the punishment of His just anger. O Heart of love, I put my confidence in Thee, because I fear everything from my own sinfulness and weakness. I hope for all things from Thy mercy and generosity.

Destroy in me all that can displease or resist Thy holy Will. Let Thy pure love impress Thee so deeply upon my heart that I may never forget Thee or be separated from Thee. May my name, by Thy loving kindness, be written in Thee, because in Thee I desire to place all my happiness and all my glory in living and dying in very bondage to Thee.

And here is a prayer she wrote asking to trust in the Sacred Heart:

Jesus, I believe in Thy personal love for one so sinful and worthless as I am

(Repeat after each of the following: Heart of Jesus, I put my trust in Thee)

I believe that Thy love for me is from all eternity and that it is as tender as a mother’s love.

I believe that Thou hast lovingly and wisely planned everything that shall ever happen to me.

I will never seek pleasure forbidden by Thee and wilt never lose heart in my efforts to be good.

I will accept the crosses of life as I accept its joys, with a grateful heart, and I will always pray, “Thy holy will be done in all things.”

I will not be worried or anxious about anything, for I know Thou wilt take care of me.

However weak or sinful I may be, I will never doubt Thy mercy.

In all my temptations...

In all my weakness…

In all my sorrows…

In every discouragement…

In all my undertakings…

In life and in death…

Heart of love, I put all my trust in Thee; for I fear all things from my own weakness, but I hope for all things from Thy goodness.


Sacred Heart of Jesus, King and Centre of all hearts, have mercy on us! 

St Margaret Mary, pray for us! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.