23 October 2018

I Don't Get It! Aren't ALL Catholic Parishes Welcoming and Inclusive of Sinners?

Fr McDonald with an excellent question. I've also included a heartbreaking comment from one of his readers. I'm reminded of a friend going through RCIA. When it was discovered that she actually believed the Catholic Faith, the Pastor gently suggested that she might 'feel more comfortable' in another Parish!

From Southern Orders

On any given Sunday in every parish where I have been a priest or a lay person, all kinds of people attend Mass from every nationality, race and sometimes creed.

They are all sinners for the most part. Some are adulterers, fornicators, sodomites, thieves, liars, coveters, idol worshipers, and the like.

No one has to show a pass to enter the Catholic Church and most priests don't know the spiritual health of the souls who present themselves for Holy Communion. Very few are excluded unless they are excommunicated or have a censure placed upon them, but how is the priest to know?

Usually presenting oneself for Holy Communion is a private matter and if the soul isn't in a state of grace that's between the communicant and God for the most part.

But this new inclusive craze to be welcoming of political groups in the Church be they LGBTQ, or democrats, Republicans or libertarians is quite puzzling.

Do we not challenge Democrats to work to become pro-life in their party's platform? Do we not encourage Republicans to be more concerned for the poor and migrants in their platforms?

Do we not ask libertarians to be less liberal and more conservative when it comes to the Catholic Faith and her morals and social teachings?

And well, you know, don't we call everyone to chastity according to their state in life to include the LGBTQ community? Is that unwelcoming of those who fundamentally disagree with the Church on chastity?

Can we welcome the pro-choice Catholic and ask them to change to becoming pro-life? Or is that too exclusive?

Flummoxed priest  in Richmond Hill. 


The Comment:

Inclusive of sinners?

I make no pretense that I am not a sinner. But since 2007, my "inclusive" parish in Valdosta has excluded me because I am "dangerous".

I pass a police clearance every two years for my job. I passed a federal security clearance in 1989. I have never been arrested. I serve Mass every week at a chapel 30 miles away. I have never threatened or harmed anyone, but I am "dangerous".

Several priests who never met me have let it be known they do not want me in "their" (as if they owned it) parish. All have refused to meet with me to talk (save one, who had enough sense to leave when 'movers" and "shakers" in the congregation turned on him).

This has been going on now for 11 years. I live 5 minutes away from the only Catholic Church here, yet I have spent thousands of needless dollars in gas to attend Mass elsewhere to meet my weekly obligations (I used to be a daily Communicant).


Inclusive of sinners? I guess if you're a PC sinner or fit the diocese's template of the right kind of sinner, you are welcomed.

I'm still waiting.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.