11 March 2018

Family Memories

A few months ago, when I was visiting my sister, she gave me a packet of old family photos. I have a perfectly good scanner, but I had no idea how to use it. Over the New Year's holiday when our children came to visit, my youngest son, who's been a computer whiz since boyhood, set it up for me.

A few days ago, I wanted to scan a photo for a post. It turned out to be extremely user friendly! So, over the last couple of days, I've started scanning the photos Sis gave me. I've been sharing them on Facebook, but I wanted to share them here as well.

So far, these are all photos of my Mum's family, but others will follow.

Here's where it all began. The wedding of my Grandparents, Charles Albert Oxley, late of the Royal Field Artillery, and Olive Elsie Victoria Brown, All Saints' Church, Catherington, Hants, England, 1919.


Here is a recent photo of All Saints' Church. All the wedding photographs, except the last, were taken in front of the main Church door.



Here's my Grandmother with her three children, My Uncle Albert next to her, my Mum on the top left, and next to her, my Auntie Hazel.

Here's my Auntie Hazel and her new husband, Charles Sluggett, of the Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's). They were married in All Saints' Church as well.


Here's Uncle Charles, a few years later. As you can see from his sleeve, he'd made some rank by this point!


And here's the photo of my Parents' wedding. Perry Weismiller, PFC, Hq&Hq Sqdn, 8th USAAF, and Doreen Louise Oxley, 7 July 1945.


And here's what the Family had grown to in just a few years! This photo was taken in 1953 when Uncle Charles, Auntie Hazel, and their five children came to Kansas to visit us. Sad to say, but in this three-generation picture, everyone in the first two generations has passed on. However, it would take a much larger photo to contain this same family today. Every one of the children pictured is a grandparent now, with several great grandparents amongst us!

And here's where the growth of the Family began. The wedding photo of my Cousin, Doreen Sluggett (the beautiful young woman between our Grandparents in the picture above and the flower girl in my parents' wedding photo further above) and her husband Fred Keizer, flanked by the Bride's proud parents, Auntie Hazel and Uncle Charles. They were married when Doreen was 18 and Fred 19. They are now 75 and 76, and still happily married and going strong!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.