24 March 2018

Palm 'Sunday'

I put Sunday in inverted commas because, as usual, I went to the Saturday evening Mass. I am a night person, and during the winter our Sunday Mass is at 08.00. If it were the only Mass available, of course, I'd be there for it, but since the Saturday evening Mass at 18.00 fulfils my Obligation, I take advantage of it. Next week, Easter Sunday, we make the 'spring switch' and our Sunday Mass becomes the 10.00 Mass and our brothers and sisters over at St Joseph's in Tobias have to start getting up earlier, because they get the 08.00 Mass!

At any rate, our Mass this evening was beautiful. Father had forgotten to veil the Crucifix, the statuary, and the large painting of our Patron St Wenceslaus last week as should have been done, but they were veiled today. Since it was a bitter day, cold, damp, and windy we forwent the Procession with the Palms outside the Church, but we used the Solemn Entrance with the Blessing of the Palms and the Proclamation of the Gospel of Our Lord's entry into Jerusalem (St Mark, 11:1-10) at the back of the Church.

Our Holy Week Schedule is pretty full. We're having Adoration from 14.00 til 17.00 tomorrow, the Mass of the Lord's Supper at 19.30 on Maundy Thursday with the Foot Washing, the Celebration of the Passion of the Lord on Good Friday at 19.30, and then the Easter Vigil Mass at 20.30 on Saturday.

Our poor Pastor has to duplicate the services on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday at St Joseph's at 17.30 and then get back to Wilber for our services at St Wenceslaus'. I feel sorry for the poor man! Not only does he have the cure of two Parishes, but they're both small, rural Parishes, so to make ends meet, he also has a full time job at the Chancery as Vice Judicial Vicar.

At any rate, this will be the first time in years that I'll be able to attend the entire Triduum!

And my Palm is tucked behind the Crucifix and lifetime membership certificate from the Confraternity of the Precious Blood that hang above my computer desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.