05 December 2020

Word of the Day: Act of Faith

ACT OF FAITH. A voluntarily expressed assent of the mind to some truth revealed by God. The assent may be purely internal, or it may be vocalized, as in the recitation of the Apostle's Creed, or it may be implied, as in genuflecting before the Blessed Sacrament. It must always be assisted by divine grace.

✠✠✠✠✠

A traditional vocal Act of Faith

My God, I firmly believe all that the Catholic, Roman and Apostolic Church believes and teaches, because Thou, the sovereign Truth, hast revealed it, and Thou canst neither deceive nor be deceived Amen.

An Act of Faith in the Real Presence from the Liturgy of the Eastern Church:

O Lord, I firmly believe and profess
that you are truly the Christ,
the Son of the living God,
who came into the world to save sinners,
of whom I am the first.
Accept me as a partaker of your mystical supper,
O Son of God,
for I will not reveal the mysteries to your enemies,
nor will I give you a kiss as did Judas,
but like the thief, I confess to you:
Remember me, O Lord, when you shall come into Your kingdom.
Remember me, O Master, when you shall come into Your kingdom.
Remember me, O Holy One, when you shall come into your kingdom.
May the partaking of your Holy Mysteries, O Lord,
be not for my judgment or condemnation,
but for the healing of soul and body.
O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.
God, cleanse me of my sins and have mercy on me.
O Lord, forgive me, for I have sinned without number.
I believe also, that this which I am about to receive
is truly your most pure Body and life-giving Blood;
Wherefore, I pray, have mercy on me
and forgive my transgressions,
both voluntary and involuntary, in word and deed,
committed in knowledge or in ignorance;
And grant that I may partake of your Holy Mysteries without condemnation
for the forgiveness of all my sins and for life everlasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.