06 July 2020

6 July, A Chesterton Calendar

JULY 6th
Happy, who like Ulysses or that lordThat raped the fleece, returning full and sage,With usage and the world's wide reason stored,With his own kin can wait the end of age.When shall I see, when shall I see, God knows!My little village smoke; or pass the door,The old dear door of that unhappy houseThat is to me a kingdom and much more?Mightier to me the house my fathers madeThan your audacious heads, O Halls of Rome!More than immortal marbles undecayed,The thin sad slates that cover up my home;More than your Tiber is my Loire to me,Than Palatine my little Lyré there;And more than all the winds of all the seaThe quiet kindness of the Angevin air.
Translation from 'Du Bellay.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.