28 May 2019

The Infant (St Augustine of Hippo)

From a friend on FishEater's Forum:
Just thought I would share this quick quote that I found while re-reading The Confessions by St. Augustine [of Hippo].
Therefore, O Lord my God, you have given to the infant life and a body, which, as we see, you have thus furnished with senses, equipped with limbs, beautified with a shapely form, and, for its complete good and protection, have endowed with all the powers of a living being.”
The Confessions, Part I, Chapter 7
How strongly pertinent it is to our culture today, who think that a baby in the womb is “not human;” that it’s “my body my choice;” that we should be able to murder newborn babies up until the beginning of birth and after birth; that a baby in the womb fits the description of “parasite” (newsflash: a baby in the womb doesn’t fit the biological definition of “parasite”); that having children is selfish, etc.
Even a 4th century cisgender, woman-hating religious extremist, not white person got it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.