28 May 2019

Words Have Lost Their Meaning

I am in complete agreement! I was once accused of having 'abandoned the Church' because of my criticisms of Francis and his lickspittle toadies.

From Mundabor's Blog 

Let us make clear something at the start: you write a blog, you will be insulted. I have a fairly thick skin, and I have always been blessed with a sovereign contempt for the attacks of people of mediocre intelligence; therefore,  most of the time I smile about it, and take it as a confirmation that I am doing something right.
What, however, strikes me as odd is the fact that those who choose to insult me do not have, on many occasions, any sense of proportions, or any respect for the language.
I object to be called hyper-trad, as there are around people with much, much stronger views about Traditionalism than me. One example: I do not advocate that people skip Mass if they do not have a Traditional Mass within reasonable distance. If I am hyper-trad, what are they: super-duper-hyper-mega Trads?
The expression hyper-polemic also leaves me quite perplexed: one does not need to go around the internet for long in order to find sites with much stronger expressions than the ones I use; but I assume that for some people, it is enough to smash “hyper” on their article and the job is done.
But the worst is to say that I have veered towards Sedevacantism. I can comfortably say that at least 80% of the insults I get (might be more) are, in actual fact, because I didn’t.  
This indiscriminate use of hyperbole is a betrayal of the language, besides being factually wrong.
Insult me as much as you want, it’s (still) a free Internet. But please, take the time to read around a bit before you call me hyper-here, hyper-that, and even Sedevacantist!
Words have lost their meaning. Facts are irrelevant. Everything is digital nowadays.
Trump is a danger to women.
The Russians have decided the 2016 election.
Building walls is unChristian.
But heavens, making of me a Sedevacantist is as “fake news” as it gets.
Still, I was mildly bemused, and actually had to chuckle when I discovered that the person who insulted me in such a way proceeded, immediately thereafter, to take the pain to translate (approvingly!) an entire blog post of yours truly: the hyper-trad, hyper-polemic Sedevacantist!
When even those who insult you feel the need to invest a decent amount of time to let the world know what you think, one can be bemused indeed.
M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.