02 October 2021

Francis Violated His Vow as a Jesuit by Becoming Pope

I just participated in a discussion on Facebook regarding Francis as a Jesuit Pope. It was occasioned by a post saying, 'As a Jesuit, Francis is DISQUALIFIED to be a bishop or Pontiff'.

Another person commented, 'Oh yes, I forgot that Jesuits take an oath against becoming bishop'.

Knowing that there have been many Jesuit Bishops and Cardinals before Francis, St Robert Bellarmine being probably the best known, I decided to do a bit of research.

Of course, I discovered as I expected, that they do not take a vow to never become Pope. Jesuit priests at the time of their solemn and final profession in the Society of Jesus do, however, promise to "never strive or ambition, not even indirectly, to be chosen or promoted to any prelacy or dignity in or outside the Society; and I will do my best never to consent to my election unless I am forced to do so by obedience to him who can order me under penalty of sin." (Constitutions S.J., Part X, N°6 [817]).

He could not be ordered to accept the election because, in the case of a Jesuit Cardinal, he remains only nominally Jesuit, as he loses active and passive voice within the Order and is no longer under the obedience of the Superior General, so Francis did, indeed, violate his vow by accepting the election without being ordered to do so under pain of sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.