23 June 2021

Hidden Chapel

Yesterday, I shared a post about a hospital chapel. I mentioned that I knew a beautiful one in Wichita, KS. Here are excerpts from a photo essay on that chapel. I've only included a few of the pictures. I highly recommend reading the whole essay.

From The Lope

During my friend Patsy's recent stay at Via Christi hospital's St Francis Campus in Wichita, Kansas, a late-night walk led me to a chapel of unconventional beauty.
[...]

I had assumed from outside views that Via Christi was a large cubic mass and not what it really is - a rectangle, the sides of which are joined buildings of various ages. This substantial church must lie hidden at the center.


Hidden, indeed. The Chapel of the Sorrowful Mother has been totally surrounded by the growth of Via Christi and its predecessor, St Francis hospital, for which it was built in 1947. 

[...]

It is an odd thing to look down on a steeple.


The best view I found of the front of the chapel was afforded through the clearer parts of a decorative window, looking south from a waiting area of the Harry Hynes hospice on the 8th floor of Via Christi. I also like this semi-prismatic view.


This is a view looking north from a window in Via Christi. The architects, by the way, were Maguolo and Quick of St Louis.

[...]
..

An exhibit in one of the hospital corridors shows a photograph of the chapel when it was surrounded on only three sides.


The day after I was stopped by locked doors, I managed to make it there during open hours. The chapel was empty as it almost always was in subsequent visits.

[...]

One can easily forget one is in a hospital, and the generic sign outside seems ludicrously inadequate as an indicator of what's in here.

[...]
At the front is a domed mosaic. A hospital display states that it was paid for by employee donations.


There's the statuary you'd expect in such an ornate place. That's Mary and St John with Christ.

[...]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.