17 May 2021

A Defence of Charles Coulombe

A while back, I shared a video of Charles Coulombe's talk on Blessed Karl and Servant of God Zita, the last reigning Emperor and Empress of Austria-Hungary. As usual, I shared it in Facebook groups whose members I thought would find it interesting. In most groups, it got enthusiastic reactions and comments. However, in one group, an ad hominem attack was immediately made on Mr Coulombe, accusing him not only of not being a true Catholic but of being a Masonically influenced occultist. It was suggested that I was derelict in my duty as a Catholic for not 'fraternally correcting' him as to his 'errors'.

Since I consider Mr Coulome a personal friend, I feel compelled to publish this defence.

I first met him 30 years ago at a Traditionalist Catholic conference at which I was an invited speaker and he was an attendee (oh, how times have changed! 😁). He was just 30 years old. I cannot speak to his beliefs or actions in the short period of his adult life before we met, but I can speak to his beliefs and actions in the ensuing three decades.

In those 30 years, whilst we've only managed to meet in person once or twice, we have stayed in contact by correspondence and now online. I undoubtedly have not read everything he has written, since he's a VERY prolific writer, but I have read widely amongst his works in history and fiction, as well as the bit of poetry he's written. I have also watched countless hours of his videos, his 'Off the Menu' videos with Vincent Frankini and his dialogues with William L. Biersach, another Catholic author, both on the Tumblar House YouTube Channel, as well as talks and interviews in other venues that have been filmed.

As to his beliefs, let me be crystal clear! Mr Coulombe is one of the most solid, most devout Traditional Catholics I have ever been privileged to know, personally or online. Whilst we do not see eye to eye philosophically, since he is a Platonist in the Augustinian tradition and I am an Aristotelian-Thomist, I have never heard or read a word of his of which I had any reason to question the Catholic orthodoxy.

On the contrary, Mr Coulombe, through his writings and his public speaking has undoubtedly brought many people to the Faith and many weak or wavering Catholics to a fuller understanding and practice of their Faith. I have nothing but praise for the great good work he has done toward bringing about the final realisation of the Social Reign of Christ the King.

Also, I would like to point out that since Mr Coulombe relies on his reputation as a writer and public speaker for his livelihood, that such gratuitous and unfounded attacks as the one which was made in that Facebook group quite likely fall under the censure of Canon 220:

No one is permitted to harm illegitimately the good reputation which a person possesses nor to injure the right of any person to protect his or her own privacy.

In closing, I would like to say that I am honoured and proud to be able to call Mr Coulombe mon cher ami

1 comment:

  1. Well said, and thank you for writing this very interesting blog. May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.