11 November 2019

The Penny Catechism - Daily Routine

This completes the Penny Catechism. Tomorrow we begin the Baltimore Catechism #1.

Daily Routine


355. How should you begin the day?


I should begin the day by making the sign of the cross as soon as I awake in the morning, and by saying some short prayer, such as, 'O my God, I offer my heart and soul to you'.


356. How should you rise in the morning?


I should rise in the morning diligently, dress myself modestly, and then kneel down and say my morning prayers.


357. Should you also attend Mass if you have time and opportunity?


I should also attend Mass if I have time and opportunity, for to attend Mass is by far the best and most profitable of all devotions.


358. Is it useful to make daily meditation?


It is useful to make daily meditation, for such was the practice of all the Saints.


359. On what ought we to meditate?


We ought to meditate especially on the four last things, and the Life and Passion of our Blessed Lord.


360. Ought we frequently to read good books?


We ought frequently to read good books, such as the Holy Gospels, the Lives of the Saints, and other spiritual works, which nourish our faith and piety, and arm us against the false maxims of the world.


361. And what should you do as to your eating, drinking, sleeping, and amusements?


As to my eating, drinking, sleeping, and amusements, I should use all these things with moderation, and with a desire to please God.


362. Say the grace before meals.


 "Bless us, O Lord, and these your gifts, which we are about to receive from your bounty, through Christ our Lord. Amen."


363. Say the grace after meals.


"We give you thanks, almighty God, for all your benefits, who live and reign, world without end." May the souls of the faithful departed through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.


364. How should you sanctify your ordinary actions and employments of the day?


I should sanctify my ordinary actions and employments of the day by often raising up my heart to God whilst I am about them, and saying some short prayer to him.


365. What should you do when you find yourself tempted to sin?


When I find myself tempted to sin I should make the sign of the cross on my heart and call on God as earnestly as I can, saying, 'Lord, save me, or I perish.'


366. If you have fallen into sin, what should you do?


If I have fallen into sin I should cast myself in spirit at the feet of Christ, and humbly beg his pardon by a sincere act of contrition.


367. When God send you any cross, or sickness, or pain, what should you say?

 

When God sends me any cross, or sickness, or pain, I should say, 'Lord, your will be done. I take this for my sins'.

368. What prayers would you do well to say often to yourself during the day?


I should do well to say often to myself during the day such prayers as -

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and tothe Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.


In all things may the most holy, the most just, and the most lovable Will of God be done, praised, and exalted above all forever.


O Sacrament most holy, O Sacrament divine, all praise and all thanksgiving be every moment thine.


Praised be Jesus Christ, praised for evermore.


My Jesus, mercy; Mary, help.


369. How should you finish the day?


I should finish the day by kneeling down and saying my night prayers.


370. After your night prayers what should you do?


After my night prayers I should observe due modesty in going to bed; occupy myself with the thoughts of death; and endeavor to compose myself to rest at the foot of the Cross, and give my last thoughts to my crucified Saviour.


Next - Baltimore Catechism #1 - Prayers and Emergency Baptism



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.