11 September 2018

I Went to an Ovalball Game Last Night

As I think I've mentioned, I've never quite figured out why the Canadian and American games are called 'football'. Except for kickoffs, punts, and field goal attempts, the foot is never involved in the game!

However, be that as it may, I attended my great grandnephew's grade 9 and 10 junior varsity ovalball game last night. He attends a very small school which is unable to field a full 11 man team. Usually, in that case, a school plays with a team of 6 or 8 players, but last night they chose to play with 9 men a side.

His team was slaughtered 46-0. They invoked the '45 mercy rule' with about 26 seconds remaining on the clock. The rule calls the game if one team is ahead by 45 points or more.

I was not surprised, actually. Alex's team was ordinarily sized 14 and 15 year olds. The opposing team had two grade 10 players, one of whom is 6'5" and 210 pounds, and another who is 6'6" and 225 pounds. They were unstoppable!

Except for the devastating loss by the home team, it was an enjoyable evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.