20 March 2018

Simo Häyhä 'The White Death' (World’s Deadliest Sniper)

I have discovered a wonderful YouTube channel called 'Simple History'. It has very short, 3-5 minute, animated videos on historical topics. Since my interests lie in the Great War and the Second World War, I've been watching videos dealing with those topics. Here is one I discovered on the Winter War when the communists tried to 'reclaim' Finland for Russia, much as Putin is now trying to 'reclaim' Ukraine.

The man featured is this video was simply amazing! He had over 500 confirmed sniper kills. There are snipers with greater numbers, but they had years in which to reach their records. Simo Häyhä was a member of the White Guard called up for service with the Finnish Army during the Winter War. That war lasted approximately 100 days! Häyhä averaged five kills per day!



And here is a song about him. I am not normally a fan of metal music, but Sabaton is a Swedish metal band that have recorded numerous songs about war and heroic soldiers, and I've come to make an exception to my opinion on metal, but only for Sabaton! This is their tribute to Simo Häyhä.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.