06 November 2018

Word of the Day: Nunc Dimittis

NUNC DIMITTIS. The Canticle of Simeon, said by him on the occasion of the presentation of Jesus in the Temple (Luke 2:29-31). It is part of the Liturgy of the Hours, daily recited at Compline.
+++++
I memorised this canticle many, many years ago. Unfortunately, I memorised it whilst I was serving as an Anglican lay reader, so I have it in the arch-heretic Cranmer's translation. Whenever I say the Roman Office, I read it very carefully, so I don't fall into using a heretic's translation!

(Canticle of Simeon * Luke 2:29-32)
2:29 Now thou dost dismiss thy servant, O Lord,  * according to thy word in peace;
2:30 Because my eyes have seen * thy salvation,
2:31 Which thou hast prepared * before the face of all peoples:
2:32 A light to the revelation of the Gentiles, * and the glory of thy people Israel.
V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost. 
R. As it was in the beginning, is now, * and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.