30 September 2026

Is It Worth Seeing the Bayeux Tapestry in the British Museum?

From History Calling


Is it worth seeing the Bayeux Tapestry at the British Museum in London? In this episode of History Calling, I review the Bayeux Tapestry exhibition which I recently saw and tell you how much it costs to see the Bayeux Tapestry, how I got tickets to see the Bayeux Tapestry, how long the queue for the Bayeux Tapestry was, can you take photos of the Bayeux Tapestry and if I would recommend the experience to others. The Bayeux Tapestry (actually an embroidery) is English made and dates to around the 1080s, however it has spent most of its existence in France. Thanks to a landmark cultural exchange between France and the UK however, it is staying in London at the British Museum from September 2026 to July 2027 and is being displayed in the Sainsbury Gallery. France will be lent the Lewis chessmen and items from the Sutton Hoo hoard in exchange. The Bayeux Tapestry shows the end of the reign of Edward the Confessor, the short reign of King Harold Godwinson and the Battle of Hastings, which culminated in Harold’s death thanks to an arrow to the eye and the accession to the English throne of William the Conqueror, aka William I. It also shows the terror of the Norman invasion of England, the passing by of Halley’s Comet in 1066 and many other battle scenes, mythological animals and stories and even the common people of England in the 11th century. It is 70m long and has had an epic history all of its own, even being seized by the Nazis at one point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Leo XIV as the Vicar of Christ, the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.