27 August 2026

6 Graves for 6 Wives. Where Are the Bodies of the Six Wives of Henry VIII Buried?

From History Calling


Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, Katherine Howard and Catherine Parr; all were married to the same man and two of them were killed by him, but where are the bodies of the six wives of Henry VIII buried? In this six wives documentary from History Calling, I’ll take you round the final resting places of these extraordinary women in Peterborough Cathedral, the Chapel of Saint Peter Ad Vincula in the Tower of London, St George’s Chapel Windsor, Westminster Abbey and Sudeley Castle. I’ll show you contemporary and modern images of their famous graves and briefly tell you what we know about their remains and why they are buried where they’re buried. You’ll find out which wife is buried with Henry VIII, why there are 6 wives, but only 5 gravesites, who ended up in a large communal grave and without a coffin, which Tudor Queen is buried near Elizabeth II and which wife’s remains are missing. I’ll also tell you about the memorials to the six wives, who erected them and how they have changed over the years. Finally, we’ll think about why none of the first three women’s children (Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I) ever had their mothers’ bodies moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Leo XIV as the Vicar of Christ, the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.