14 July 2019

Two Letters to Monseigneur Lefebvre

The first is the only letter I've ever regretted writing. I regret only the necessity of the second.

On St Bonaventure's Day, 1988, 31 years ago today, just two weeks after the Episcopal Consecrations at Écône, I sent a letter to Monseigneur Lefebvre that I will forever regret. In it I told him that he was a hell-bound excommunicate for consecrating the four Bishops without Papal mandate. He never answered, not that I was surprised.

A couple of years later I was seeing Rome's tepid attitude to enforcement of the motu proprio Ecclesia Dei and I'd had a bit of personal experience with it. I had written my Ordinary with a request that my children be allowed to receive the First Sacraments in the Traditional Form. As a formality, I had copied the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei in Rome.


Weeks passed with no answer. Then one day, out of the blue, I received an answer from the Archbishop. It was four pages long. The first page told me how much he supported the Pope in issuing the motu proprio. The following pages were an explanation of why he would not grant my request, and a long screed accusing me of being a 'Lefebvreite'! Note, I had never mentioned Monseigneur or the SSPX in my letter of request.


Given that I lived, at the time, in the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas, and that both St Vincent de Paul in Kansas City, MO and St Marys, KS were within comfortable driving distance, had I been a 'Lefebvreite', I'd have had no trouble having my children receive the First Sacraments in the Traditional form.


A day or two later, I received a letter from His Eminence Augustin, Cardinal Mayer. Obviously the Archbishop had had no intention of replying, until he realised Rome was involved. The letter from Cardinal Mayer was a massive disappointment. He told me that if I would assure him that I was not a schismatic (i.e. an adherent of the SSPX) he would request my Ordinary to accede to my request!


After this exchange of correspondence, I wrote Monseigneur Lefebvre again. I apologised for my earlier letter, and told him that I had come to view him as the Athanasius of the 20th century. Ever the Catholic gentleman, as well as a holy Bishop, he not only replied to this missive, he gave me his Episcopal Blessing, and included some holy cards from the jubilee of his Consecration as a Bishop.


I now pray for his Canonisation, because I am convinced that when the Church returns to sanity (and She will!), he will be raised to the honours of the Altar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.