12 June 2023

A Letter From a Catholic Father to a Public School Teacher (ca 1965)

What follows is a letter written by my father-in-law. I wonder how many Catholic parents today would even care, not that the situation could arise in today's anti-Christiasociety.

Dear Mrs Green, 

Please excuse Barbara from the classroom during the recitation of the Lord's Prayer. 

As you are probably aware, there are 2 versions of the Lord's Prayer, the long version and the short version.

As Roman Catholic, Barbara cannot recite the long version and I feel that this difference in versions will only confuse her so therefore it is requested that she be allowed to stay in the hall during the saying of the prayer.

It is my desire that she receive no religious instruction or take part in any religious activity other than Roman Catholic. This is a mandate of my religious beliefs and my church.

I know you are only trying to do good job as a teacher but please leave the religious instruction to me & my church.

I hope I haven't caused any hurt feelings but I have no choice in this mtter & I hope you can see this. 

Thank You So Much
SSgt Colgan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.