11 February 2021

A King's View of Baptism

I just posted Msgr Tonne's 'talk' on the Ceremonies of the Traditional Baptismal Rite so I thought I would post this now.

King St Louis IX of France was a powerful King of one of the pre-eminent Kingdoms of Europe at the time. Most Kings of the time, when signing a charter or other document, would sign 'X, King of Y', or X of Z', the zed standing for a major estate they held. 

Not St Louis! He always signed himself as 'Louis of Poissy'. Why? Because he had been born in Poissy, near Paris (now a suburb of the city), and was baptised in the Collegiate Church of Our Lady in the town. 

However, he did not sign 'of Poissy' because he had been born there. He signed in that fashion because he had been baptised there.

After he had been crowned in the Cathedral of Our Lady of Rheims, he was asked why he signed 'of Poissy'. He replied,

"I think more of the place where I was baptised than of Rheims Cathedral where I was crowned. It is a greater thing to be a child of God than to be the ruler of a Kingdom. This last I shall lose at death but the other will be my passport to an everlasting glory."

St Louis of Poissy, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.