19 May 2023

The Raccolta - Section XLVI - Jesus in the Most Holy Sacrament

172. PRAYERS FOR A VISIT TO THE MOST HOLY SACRAMENT OR TO MOST HOLY MARY (FROM ST. ALPHONSO DE’ LIQUORI).

The Sovereign Pontiff Pius IX., by a Rescript of Sept. 7, 1851, which is preserved in the venerable house of the Oblates of Torre de’ Specchi, granted for ever -
300 days of indulgence to the faithful every time they shall say the following prayers, composed by St. Alphonso for a visit to the most holy Sacrament, before the tabernacle, where our Lord is enclosed, or to the Blessed Virgin Mary before her image.
The plenary indulgence, moreover, to be gained once a month, when, having used one or other of these devotions in the manner above indicated, they shall, having Confessed and Communicated, pray for the wants of the holy Church, according to the intention of the Sovereign Pontiff.

THE PRAYER FOR THE VISIT TO THE MOST HOLY SACRAMENT.

O my Lord Jesus Christ, who for the love which Thou dost bear men dost remain night and day in this Sacrament all full of tenderness and love, expecting, inviting, and receiving all those who come to visit Thee; I believe Thee present in the Sacrament of the Altar; I adore Thee in the depths of my own nothingness; and I thank Thee for all the graces which Thou hast granted me, especially for having vouchsafed to bestow Thyself upon me in this Sacrament, for having given me Thy own most holy Mother Mary for my advocate, and for having invited me to visit Thee in this church. I pay my homage this day to Thy adorable Heart, and I do so for these three intentions: first, in thanksgiving for this great gift itself; secondly, for a reparation for all the injuries which Thou hast received from all Thy enemies in this Sacrament; thirdly, I intend by this visit to adore Thee in all those places where Thou, sacramentally present, art least reverenced and most abandoned. My Jesus, I Jove Thee with my whole heart. I repent of having so many times heretofore displeased Thy infinite goodness. By Thy grace I resolve never to offend Thee more for the time to come; and at this present moment, poor sinner as I am, I consecrate myself wholly to Thee. I renounce for myself, and I give to Thee, my will, my affections, my desires, every thing that I call my own. From this day forth do Thou with me, and with every thing that belongs to me, whatever pleases Thee. I ask Thee only, and I wish only, for Thy holy love, for final perseverance, and the perfect fulfilment of Thy will. I commend to Thee the souls in purgatory, especially those who were most devoted to the most holy Sacrament, and to Mary most holy. Moreover, I commend to Thee all poor Sinners. For this intention I unite, O my dear Saviour Jesus, all my affections with the affections of Thy most loving Heart; and thus united, I offer them to thy Eternal Father, and I entreat Him, in Thy Name and for Thy love, to accept and answer them.

THE PRAYER FOR A VISIT TO THE MOST HOLY MARY.

O most holy Virgin, Immaculate Mary my Mother, to thee, who art the Mother of my Lord, the Queen of the world, the advocate, hope and refuge of sinners, I, most wretched sinner, have recourse this day; and I give thee thanks for all the favours thou hast bestowed on me up to this moment, especially for having freed us from hell, which I have so many times deserved. I love thee, O most loving Mother, and for the love which I bear thee I promise to be ready always to serve thee, and to do my best to make thee beloved by others. In thee I let all my hopes repose, all my salvation; accept me for thy servant, and gather me beneath thy robe, O Mother of mercy. And since thou art so powerful with God, free me from all temptations, or, at any rate, obtain for me strength to overcome them up to the moment of my death. O my Mother, for the love thou bearest to God, I pray thee to aid me always, but most in the last moment of my life. Leave me not till thou dost see me safe in heaven, there to bless thee and sing thy mercies for all eternity. Amen. This is my hope. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to deletion if they are not germane. I have no problem with a bit of colourful language, but blasphemy or depraved profanity will not be allowed. Attacks on the Catholic Faith will not be tolerated. Comments will be deleted that are republican (Yanks! Note the lower case 'r'!), attacks on the legitimacy of Pope Francis as the Vicar of Christ (I know he's a material heretic and a Protector of Perverts, and I definitely want him gone yesterday! However, he is Pope, and I pray for him every day.), the legitimacy of the House of Windsor or of the claims of the Elder Line of the House of France, or attacks on the legitimacy of any of the currently ruling Houses of Europe.